The Heat Is On!

The heat is on! After 5 days of not being able to do anything because of high winds, we had two pretty nice days for working. And now we’re into a heat wave! Today is “only” 81, then for the next 13 days (that’s as far as the forecasts go) it’s supposed to be between 87 & 90 degrees!! You KNOW I don’t do heat! 80 is really my cutoff point, and that’s when I’m not doing any hard labor!  The average temp for this time of year is 75 degrees. This is exactly why I was so anxious to get the purple shed picked up and out of my way, but I really didn’t expect to run into temps like this until the end of May.

I guess I’ll just plan to only work a few minutes at a time, then rest and cool off. But that brings up another problem; I don’t have any place cool. I haven’t found anyplace better to put the camper where it’d be shady and still head into the wind.The Fantastic Vent fan does help but it’s no substitute for air conditioning!  I need to somehow rig up a big shade cloth over the whole camper.

In the past two days I got a lot done though, at least by my standards.  I built the floor framing for the sofa/bed bump-out, attached the hardware cloth, built the foundation piers and dropped it in place! It’s temporary; I did that just so I could make sure the foundation was right and everything was level. Now I have to pick it up again and permanently attach the two 2×6 foundation beams to the 4×4 posts.

The bump-out is 39″ x 85″. The finished interior size will be 34.5 x 77 and the sofabed will be 32×75.  The back is even with the back of the main house but the front is about a foot shorter, and it will not be part of the main roof; it will have it’s own little shed roof coming off the side.

DSCN7698

Oh how I love those nice clamps I got at Harbor Freight! It’s like having four extra hands. I don’t know how I ever built anything without them before!

My garden is officially dead and gone. It was warm last night so I left nearly all the plants outside in Roxie’s exercise pen, to protect them from the rabbits. Oops. Something smaller than a rabbit had a feast! All my dear baby tomatoes got eaten off at ground level, it ate all the buds off the marigolds, and it even ate the radishes that the rabbits didn’t like. Luckily the 3 little lettuce plants and two rosemary babies were inside the camper because the lettuce is kind of limp and wimpy-looking, and it didn’t bother the two green pepper plants.  If I have a garden next spring I’ll have to figure out a way to keep those predators away.

Here are some links to Amazon items that readers have purchased recently. Feel free to use these link to access Amazon for all your needs. Amazon has everything, you know!

Toy Storage Net for Stuffed Animals

Nature’s Truth Ultra Tart Cherry Extract

Alpicool Portable Compressor Fridge Freezer (I want one of these!!)

Hot Logic Mini-Mac Personal Portable Oven

This entry was posted in Arizona, DIY Micro House, DIY Tiny House, Micro House, Off-grid living, Ownen-built tiny house, Tiny Homes, Tiny House, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Heat Is On!

1. We are having “extreme heat alert” in Peoria. I think today is supposed to be up to 105F. It is already 87F and not even 9 a.m. Good luck with the home building!

2. janispaqu says:

It’s too early for that!! I saw something on FB the other day that said Phoenix 75 degrees and two days later 105!

3. wewally says:

I know money is tight but running this 4 hours a day to take a miday siesta may help preserve your sanity Sportsman 1000 Watt Inverter Generator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8L2RTS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nbH7AbXXNXHHN
    They run cheaper than the old style ones and quieter.

• janispaqu says:

It takes a 2000 watt generator to run my camper A/C. And if I spent $300 on a generator, I wouldn’t have any money to buy building materials until the end of the month when I get more SS. Oh yeah, and I don’t have $300. But thanks!

4. Vicki says:

You need to make a chicken wire with netting quare frame for your plants

• janispaqu says:

To really protect the plants I would have to use 1/4″ hardware cloth over, under and around them! With a door so I could get at them to water them, etc. That’s too big a project this year when I’ve got so much other stuff going on but maybe next year.

5. visionsbyjoe says:

Hope you’re doing well. Just happened upon your blog while researching my future attempt at tiny living. I have family friends that live in that heat soaked portion of the world. I’m impressed with your patience and persistence. I like what you’ve accomplished and hope the rest is smoother sailing.

6. visionsbyjoe says:

Hoping you’re doing well and that your staying cool as possible.

7. visionsbyjoe says:

Now I might be able to do Flagstaff. It’s much like home as far as climate.

8. janispaqu says:

The climate here is very similar to Flag; 1000′ lower elevation so a little warmer in summer and a lot less snow in winter. I believe Coconino County does have Tiny House building codes, if you’re looking to go the legal route.

9. kk2scoot says:

Such a determined little bug, aren’t you!. proud of you!!

Liked by 1 person