It’s still windy here. Every day for the past two weeks, and according to the weather forecast, for the next 10 days as well. There are a couple days when the wind is only 10-15 mph but the rest are 20-30 mph. This is getting old! The temps are also getting up there in the 80’s, and starting Thursday, 88-92 degrees.
The other day I figured out that the roofing materials (including joists & plywood) are going to cost around $350 and I won’t be able to save up that much money until late July. So I’ve decided to leave the house as is and take off for higher elevations and cooler climes. I probably won’t come back until September when the weather cools down. I remember fall as being very pleasant, and it will be good weather for working. So sorry for you folks who signed up to follow my blog because it was about building a tiny home, but I’ll be back on that subject in the fall, I promise!
I’ve rented a 10×10 storage unit and will put everything that’s not nailed down in there. I worry about someone stealing the water tank and yes, even the floor frame! But I can’t do anything about them, so I’ll just have to take my chances.
I was going to try to leave by Tuesday so I could get a good campsite near Pagosa Springs, CO before the Memorial Day crush, but yesterday my fan motor for the car A/C gave up the ghost. It’s been noisy for awhile but I thought it just had leaves in it. Yesterday it got way noisier and then completely stopped working. I found a You Tube video on how to replace it and it doesn’t look that hard (famous last words) so I’m going to try to do it myself. The hardest thing is that it is located under the glove box on the passenger side, and in order to get at it I will have to lay on my back in the front footwell. Um…that’s pretty close quarters for a “big girl” like me…what if I get stuck in there like an upturned turtle??? Maybe I will go up to the neighbors’ and do it in their driveway so someone can hear me if I holler for help. The part costs $92 so I won’t be able to buy it until I get my next Social Security money next Wednesday. So I’ll just wait and leave after the Memorial Day weekend.
I am sad that I won’t be able to move into the house until very late fall. When I look at the floor sitting there, in my mind I can see the whole finished house. (Wish you all could see it; it’s very cute!) It seems so close, but yet so far away.
There has always been a question in my mind of whether or not I can stand to live here in the summertime, when temps go to 90+ degrees. I sure would have given it a good try IF I had a nice super-insulated house to live in. I know I can’t make it in this camper that only has 1″ of insulation in the walls and roof. But considering my low tolerance for heat, I may always have to “take to the road” in the height of summer. We shall see.
So I’ll be switching back to travel adventure stories soon. I’m planning to go to Pagosa Springs, Buena Vista, Leadville and Grand Lake, CO and then up to the Snowy Range in S.E. Wyoming again. I loved it there and the elevation was around 12,000′ so it was nice and cool. Grand Lake is just outside the western entry to Rocky Mountain National Park. I guess it deserves a second chance…..I was there in the late 70’s on July 4 weekend and it was bumper to bumper traffic. I hated it and could hardly wait to get out of there! But I’ll bet it’s different on weekdays in June. Hope so.
Here are links to some items that readers have purchased from Amazon. Feel free to use these links to access Amazon for all your shopping needs!