Now I’ve become an auto mechanic! The fan for my air conditioner started making really terrible noises, then it quit completely. I went to Google and found out what was probably wrong, and then went to You Tube to see how to fix it. It said it was an easy fix. I went and got the new blower motor….$95, gulp! (Could have gotten it for $40 on ebay if I’d had the time to wait for it) Changing the part involved getting on my back in the passenger footwell and I really didn’t think I could do that. I couldn’t even figure out HOW to get on my back in there! I asked a few friends if they knew anyone who’d change it for me and no one did. So it came down to either spending $75-80 minimum service fee at a shop for a ten-minute job, or doing it myself.
So I turned a 5 gallon bucket over and set it right next to the open car door, with a pillow on top. I sat down facing away from the car and then sort of slumped down into the footwell. It was hard work getting those 3 screws out, as I could only work with my left hand; I couldn’t fit my right hand in there. I tried and tried and could not get the wiring harness unhooked. My fingers just don’t have any strength in them any more. After awhile I had the brilliant idea that maybe there wasn’t anything really wrong with the blower motor, maybe the mouse’s leg sticking out was the only reason the fan wouldn’t turn. So I turned the fan and and the motor jumped all over the place. Yay! I put the motor back in place and got those 3 screws back in, then tried it again. Oh. It only worked on high speed, and it still made a really terrible noise.
I removed that motor AGAIN and still couldn’t get the wiring harness apart, so I gave up and left it hanging there. I went to the laundromat and there were some young guys sitting on the porch waiting for the shower, so I asked if one of them could help me. What a nice kid! He not only got the wiring harness apart, but he went ahead and installed the new motor too! Unfortunately, it still only works on high speed. But hey, it’s quiet!
I came home and went again to Google, which said that the problem is probably the resistor. It’ an EASY JOB, it said! Sure, sure. That’s what they said about the blower motor! The part costs $50 on ebay or $100 at the auto parts place so I can’t fix it right now or else I won’t have the money to buy gas to get to Colorado. That’s OK, I don’t mind just using high speed. I’m happy that I was mostly able to do it, and happy at how much money I saved.
I took three small trailer loads of lumber & stuff over to the new storage unit and emptied out a lot of the stuff from my car. Now I have to go move the stuff from the small storage unit over to the big one. I hope it all fits! I have a few other chores to do but if I can get that done in one session, I’ll be free to leave on Wednesday. I wanted to leave Tuesday but I just got worn out with all the stuff I had to do around here, and I mostly only work from 5:30 a.m. until 9:00, before it gets too hot, or that last hour before dark. I will be so glad when I can leave all this work behind and become a lady of leisure again!! I feel like I’ve earned it.
Here’s a few links to Amazon products you might like. If not, please feel free to use any of the links to access Amazon and then use the Search box to find what you really want!
2 replies on “Getting Ready”
Something on my jeep quit, don’t remember what. I took it in to get an estimate. They told me the dash had to come out to fix it to the tune of 1700$. My son did some checking, probably mechanics he knows in town. There was a fuse loose in the glove box. Not even blown. Just loose. Took him less than 5 minutes to fix it. Glad I had him to save me. And really glad you were able to figure yours out. Repair shops seem to enjoy ripping us off when they can.
Sometimes repair shops really do rip you off….I’m always leery.