Snowy Range, WY (still)

I’m still camped near Centennial, WY. I had to move at least 3 miles away so I can stay an additional 16 days. I found a nice spot up one of the side roads, and it’s higher in elevation (9780′!) so it’s cooler. It’s right on the edge of an escarpment and I can see forever! Well…..I can see teeny tiny cars on I-80, and that’s around 30 miles away! So far there’s been a nice breeze that keeps everything nice and cool. I really like it here!

DSCN7844

Long-range views over the escarpment

A few days ago I drove all over the forest looking for a new campsite. I thought I found a good one with a nice tree for afternoon shade (rare around here, even though it’s a forest). I backed in close to the tree but when I got out of the car, I was instantly covered in mosquitoes. So much for that good campsite; I hate mosquitoes.  Hardly any at this new site I found!

Last week I drove up the Snowy Range Scenic Byway for the first time this year. It’s such a beautiful drive…27 miles from start to finish. It goes over a 12,500’ mountain pass and through forests, lakes, and meadows full of wildflowers. Still plenty of snow in the heights!

I saw a mama and baby moose!! The baby was having a ball tearing around the meadow while mama just stood and watched. I got a couple photos that are kind of blurry, since they were so far away, I had to use both optical and digital zoom settings. I try not to post bad photos but hey, like I’ve said before, they’re MOOSE and blurry photos are OK!  Same goes for bear photos, though I’m glad I haven’t seen any here. I know they are around, because all of the trash containers are have bear-proof tops.

DSCN7847DSCN7853

There are wildflowers everywhere here! I guess it’s the best time for them. So pretty…all different colors, like someone took a handful of mixed seeds and cast them out.

DSCN7836DSCN7838

I need identification on these last two flower photos please!!DSCN7870DSCN7841

We’ve been getting afternoon thundershowers almost every day. Sometimes it’s just a few drops but there have been several hailstorms, which really make me nervous for my 14 year old plastic skylights, but so far, so good; no new leaks. The ones I hate are the “100 drop rains”….it rains just long enough for me to get everything closed up and put away, then stops.

I’ve been studying on which direction to head towards home in September. I was thinking of going over into Utah and down through Moab, but I think instead I’ll save my gas money and just go back pretty much the way I came, but dip down into Northern New Mexico. There are some high elevation campsites that sound interesting, and then I can hop onto I-40 and be home in a jiffy, once the hot weather breaks. I’m hoping for sooner rather than later…..I’m already tired of having to move around all the time and I’m itching to get back to work on my tiny house. Well really I don’t want to do the work, I just want it to magically build itself so I can move in. Hah. It’ll be mid-September at the earliest though. I have to find nice cool places to camp for another two months!

Here are a few Amazon product links. Please use these links to access Amazon. You can then use Amazon’s Search box to find everything you want! Thank you!!  Well I guess just one link today…Amazon doesn’t seem to want to generate the links for me.

Outdoor Birdbath

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Wyoming and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Snowy Range, WY (still)

1. Kathy says:

Beautiful photos Jan….looks like it is becoming a nicer trip for you!!!!
    Ron says hi😁

Liked by 1 person

2. Renee from Idaho says:

Loved this post. I would’ve loved to see the moose calf frolicking in the meadow! What a site that was! As for the wildflowers, the white one is a Gunnison’s Mariposa Lily and the rose colored one, I don’t know. At first I thought it was a variety of Indian Paintbrush, but the color is not right. They’re all beautiful. I would love to drive our fifth wheel up there!

• janispaqu says:

Thanks Renee….that moose calf was a real hoot! About ten people were standing there watching for quite a long time. I was shocked at how many people stopped and looked, and then went right on! I thought they were Indian Paintbrush also, but for the color.

3. Renee from Idaho says:

Ok. I think I found the rose colored one – a Crown Vetch.

4. kk2scoot says:

Loved the photos! Amazing how pretty it is, and is thT snow in the background?

5. wacadoodle says:

Centennial is the first place that literally took my breath away the first time I went west. I remember it as though it was yesterday. I think it was the vastness.

Your pictures are great. As far as identifying the flowers—one was white and the other pink. LOL

If you change your mind and go through nNew Mexico, go through Chana. There’s a great elk preserve there, Cumbria Pass, and the Cumbres de Toltec railroad. Interesting place. I went straight down through the center of New Mexico through the small towns.

Great post. I hate mosquitoes, too!

• janispaqu says:

It really is one of my very favorite places too. I have Chama on my list! But even the half-day train trip is too expensive, darn it! $85.

• wacadoodle says:

I didn’t ride the train, either, but the depot is very interesting and worth the stop. I could tell you that it’s beautiful country, but coming from where you are – – it wouldn’t mean much. I envy you.

6. janispaqu says:

Oh thanks for the heads-up about the depot….I wouldn’t have known that it was worth a look.

7. nickelnog says:

Im sure it’s Indian Paintbrush but they come in many varieties. This web article might help. https://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/Pink%20Enlarged%20Photo%20Pages/castilleja%20haydenii%20&%20rhexifolia.htm